Sedation dentistry is a form of dental treatment that makes use of medication to comfort and relax patients during dental treatments. Patients who have sensitive teeth, have oral concerns or anxieties or need lengthy or intricate dental procedures may find this to be extremely useful.
This service can be administered in several forms, from mild relaxation to total unconsciousness. Among the most popular types of sedation dentistry are:
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas): During dental operations, patients can feel peaceful and relaxed by breathing in nitrous oxide through a mask. Because nitrous oxide is secure, efficient, and wears off quickly, patients may leave their appointments and drive themselves home.
- Oral Sedation: Before the dentist session, patients take pills containing sedatives. Patients may have mild to moderate drowsiness as a result of the medicine, and they may feel drowsy or disoriented throughout the operation. The effects of the medicine may last for many hours after the operation, and patients will need to make transportation arrangements to and from their appointment.
- IV Sedation: An IV is used to provide drugs straight into the patient’s bloodstream. While patients must plan transportation to and from their appointments and may have side effects for several hours after the operation, this sort of sedation can offer a deeper degree of calm.
- General Anesthesia: The use of general anesthesia, which renders the patient completely unconscious, is normally saved for difficult or protracted dental treatments. The patient will need to make transportation arrangements to and from the visit, and they will need time to recuperate from the anesthesia’s effects.
Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
Several advantages of sedation dentistry include:
- Decreased Anxiety: Sedation dentistry can make dental operations for people who experience dental anxiety or fear more comfortable and at ease.
- Improved Comfort: Patients with sensitive teeth or gums might benefit from sedation dentistry by feeling more at ease during operations that could otherwise be painful or uncomfortable.
- Better Dental Health: Patients who use sedation dentistry may find it easier to undertake difficult or protracted dental operations, which can help to improve their dental health and stave off future dental issues.
- Saving time: Patients who get sedation dentistry may be able to complete many dental operations in a single visit, which can speed up the process and cut down on the number of visits required.
If you’re considering sedation dentistry near you, talk to your dentist about the best sedation option for you. To help you get ready for your session, your dentist will go over your medical and dental history and discuss your worries and wishes.
Don’t let dental anxiety or fear prevent you from achieving optimal dental health.
Patients should be informed of certain potential dangers and problems, even though sedation dentistry is safe and efficient the majority of the time. These dangers can differ according to the kind and degree of sedation utilized, as well as the patient’s overall condition. Here are some of the risks involved that you should be aware of:
- Allergic reactions
- Respiratory problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cardiovascular problems
- Memory loss
Sedation Dentistry in Okotoks
At Cornerstone Dental Wellness, we are mindful that certain patients may find it challenging to obtain the necessary dental care due to dental phobia and anxiety. To make our patients feel more at ease and comfortable during their dental treatments, we provide sedation dentistry.
To ensure that our patients receive the best care, our skilled team of dentists near you are trained in administering multiple forms of sedation.
We suggest scheduling a consultation with our dentist near you if you’re thinking about acquiring this specific treatment. To help our patients attain excellent oral health and a gorgeous smile, we strive to make their dental visits as relaxing and painless as possible.
Please contact us today to get things started!